Sunday, November 27, 2011

Machine Gun Preacher

Last weekend, I went to the movies and got into this film which I had no idea what it was about, except that it had Gerard Butler in it. It was called 'Machine Gun Preacher' and from the movie' name and poster, I thought this is going to be another violent Hollywood movie that is is going to entertain me and my friends on a Friday night. Looking at the movie poster found below, you cannot blame me!



We all love Gerard Butler, we've seen him in Law Abiding Citizen, Rock-n-Rolla, 300 and PS. I Love You and as you can see from the poster my pre-judgement was rightful. But from the opening 5 minutes of the film, I knew this was not another bloody movie meant for entertainment. Without giving so much away, it was based on the real story of Sam Childers an ex-con, drug addict, gun loving tough guy from Pennsylvania, USA who finds God and decides to help kids in South Sudan. These kids were terrorized and kidnapped, given guns to fight wars and put into sex slavery. Being Sudanese myself, the story of Sam had a major effect on me. This is because I was already aware of the situation in the Southern part of the country and the nightmare that its people go through everyday. But the fact that someone from half-way across the globe decides to make a difference by coming to one of the most dangerous parts of the world to protect kids physically, emotionally and financially leaving behind his family, friends and a safe place to sleep in made me rethink a lot about our luxurious everyday life. Sam took it to the extreme, but that is not how we all should make a difference, there are many ways in which we can help and there are many places to go to in order to do so. After I went home I read a lot about the real Sam Childers who published a book around a year ago called 'Another Man's World'. If you got to www.machinegunpreacher.org you can find more on the topic. Here are some real pictures from Sam's journey in South Sudan.



Sam collaborates with the Sudanese People Liberation Army

Gerard Butler portraying Sam Childers


Sam Childers now has book and a movie that tell his courageous Story

Gerard Butler and Sam Childers

Through out this course (MCM 102) I have been trying to pin point cases where the media was not doing its job or trying to manipulate me. But for the first time in a while I was actually proud of what Hollywood has done here. The movie has weak marketing and limited release which means the profit was not the primary objective here. Technically it was an excellent film directed by Marc Foster who directed blockbusters like Monster's Ball and Quantum of Solace. So money ($30 million budget) and effort were spent in this film and the results are astonishing. If you argue otherwise, that profit is always what the film industry is after or that people like Sam seek fame or fortune, then I would say that as long as a strong, truthful message is being put across then so be it. I highly recommend watching this film.



Movie Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddnloOFjwY

Interview with Sam Childers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhq54tkNHXo

Sam Childers in Darfur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1ETDwJ5I0&feature=related

Visit

No comments:

Post a Comment